OSAGE HISTORY TIME CAPSULE - AUGUST
© 2012 – Osage Tribal Museum
· White Hair (Chief Pa-hu’-ska) passes. Per a report from the “Independent Chronicle” in Boston, MA, dated August 31, 1809, “Chief White Hair’s death was unexpected, and his illness of short duration. Whitehair had visited Washington (DC) city as well as many other towns of the Atlantic, and had viewed with attention the extraordinary facility with which the white men procured food and clothing; he wished to imitate them but often complained that his children were wayward, and hard to controul or govern.”
· August – Clermont Band agrees to Treaty of 1808.
· August 10 – George Sibley and Santa Fe Trail Commissioners meet with Osage leaders at Council Grove, KS and negotiate for the safe passage of Santa Fe caravans through Osage territory. The Osages agree to render aid to freighters in distress.
· August 6 – General Arbuckle and Governor Stokes set out, accompanied by delegations from the Creek, Osage, Seneca and Quapaw tribes, escorted by two companies from the Seventh Infantry under Maj. George Birch
· August 24 – Treaty signed, allowing passage through the western country for citizens of the United States en route to Santa Fe and Mexico and permitted the immigrant Indians to hunt and trap beyond the Cross Timbers to the western limits of the United States
· August 9 – (Unratified) Treaty with Great and Little Osages signed with "X" by Little Bear, Numpawalla, Strike Axe, Tall Chief, Sheshewahtumka, Tzitopo, Aishimagrie, Walushake, Washapawatoinke, Wogoope-Shinka, Wapisantze, Lynn, Tziwaigtin, Katrika-Watzegihe, Clarmore, Graitan-Shinka, Big Elk, Watainka, Watsatanka (Little Osages); White Hair, Beaver, Wachawha, Sun Dance, Kahike Wa-She-Peshie, Tall Chief, Wanung-po-Tze, Big Heart, Wolfe, Wahshepeshe, Weunesakie, Wohchasenka, Washisope, Doushie-Olaha, Wananche-Keile, Kamreche-Mani, Shapile, Cinserit-Tahee, Okoshemoni, Cowhanshehi, Joseph Ponne-Nopake, Wartroupe-Wananshe, Hishakagie, Monshan-Pkanthan, Okinashie (Great Osages signing with "X" mark) and Charles Mongrain, acting head chief Great Osages.
· June 7 – Supt. Hoag states in a letter to Commissioner Parker that Agent Gibson was of the opinion that the Osages would not return to their homes after their hunt. He suggests that Gibson be at once directed to go to Washington, D.C. and give the Department what information he could in the matter and confer what plan to follow. Enclosed with a letter from “Governor Joe”, dated May 20, stating that it was the desire of all the headmen of the nation for the President to send commissioners to them about August 20 to make a treaty, as they expected to make a short hunt and come in.
· August 2 – Acting Commissioner Cady wrote to the commission that their board, “having arranged to be present at the council to be held with the Osages, in the Cherokee country, with a view to (establish) this tribe upon a new reservation there, to be purchased from the Cherokees, the Secretary of the Interior directs me to say to you, that it is desired that the price to be given for the land shall not exceed 50 cents per acre, and that in making the arrangement with the Cherokees, your endeavor will be to subserve the interests of the (U.S.) Government as well as those of the Indians, and to effect, if possible, the purchase at even a less price.” Accompanying the letter was a copy of another letter by Cady to Hoag stating that the place of the meeting of the council with the Osages must be in the country to which they were to remove and not upon their reservation in Kansas.
· August 6 – Hoag was advised that William P. Adair, Clement N. Vann and six other persons appointed commissioners on behalf of the Cherokee nation to meet the Osages in council in the Cherokee country sometime during August to confer upon the matter of procuring the Osages a home in that country. The Cherokees were invited to be present at the council for the purpose of arranging their own terms. Colyer objected to the provision in the instructions stating that the council should be held in the Cherokee country, since it assumed that the Osages would accept Sections 12 & 13 of the recent Indian appropriations act.
· August 11 – Instructions were changed so that it was left to the Osages, themselves, to select the council ground. Agent Gibson sends out runners to notify the chiefs of the coming of the commission.
· August 20 – The commission arrives at the Osage Agency in Montgomery, KS, and the tribe was nearly all out on the plains buffalo hunting. Pending the arrival of the Osages, the commission engaged teams, and accompanied by Hoag and Gibson, occupied the four following days in visiting and inspecting the Cherokee lands soon to be the Osage Reservation. They rode 45 miles into the reservation, making a wide detour on their return, so that they could see as much as possible. In their own words, they found the land of excellent quality, a liberal proportion of it, along the banks of the Cana (River), good bottom land, well timbered, with tall and thick prairie grass, plenty of water, and the upland rolling, apparently covered with good pasture for cattle and considerable timber.”; By Fall, by the advice of the commission and urgent request of the Osages, Superintendent Hoag employed a surveyor, perhaps A. H. Perry, allowed the sum of $618, to run the line immediately.
· August 28 – The General Land Office instructs Barrett and Darling to report at once when the survey of the line (96th Meridian) would be completed.
· August – Avant Post Office established; city located 7 miles SE of Barnsdall; named for Ben Avant, prominent Osage Indian; Big Heart Township; oil boom town
· August 10 – Daughters of American Revolution marks site in Council Grove, KS where U.S. Commissioners met with members of Osage Indians on August 10, 1825 to sign agreement providing for safe passage along the then-new Santa Fe Trail.
· August – Township of Apperson established 4 miles NW of Burbank; named for Apperson automobile; now ghost town
· August – Post office at Pulare established (through September, 1928); located 9 miles NW of Sand Springs
· August – Post office at Red Eagle established (through October, 1930); named for Osage Principal Chief Paul Red Eagle
· August – Cooper post office established (through October, 1939); located 8 miles north of Burbank; named for Edward E. Cooper, early resident; now ghost town
· August 3 – Principal Chief Ne-kah-wah-she-tun-kah passes; Assistant Principal Chief Paul Red Eagle appointed as Principal Chief for the unexpired term
· August – Carter Nine post office established; located 22 miles NW of Pawhuska; Fairfax township, named for Carter Oil Company and land description – Section 9, T26N, R6E; now ghost town
· Principal Chief Lookout passes on August 28; John Oberly appointed as Principal Chief
· August 9 – Jack Shoemate appointed Osage Agency Superintendent
· March 12 to August 8 – St. Louis (Missouri) Art Museum presents “Art of the Osage”
· August 1-2 – Million Dollar Elm Casino in Tulsa opens its doors, located at the intersection of the L. L. Tisdale Parkway and 36th Street North
· August – Osage Tribal member, Dr. Andrea Hunter, becomes first Tribal Preservation Officer for the Osage Nation.
· August 23 – Prin. Chief Jim Gray files suit against the Osage Congress in the Trial Court of the Osage Nation over the constitutionality of ONCA 07-06 and Amendment ONCA 07-32, “The Internal Audit Department Act”. The case revolves around this bill, whether its implementation is in violation of the Osage Constitution. This case becomes the first test of the constitution within the Osage courts. September 27, Chief Gray dismisses the lawsuit after Congress brings forth new legislation clearing up all questions of unconstitutionality and signs into law ONCA 07-51, “The Osage Nation Technical Corrections Act to the Osage Nation Internal Audit Department”.
· August – Announcement of record payment to annuitants at $11,245 per headright, eclipsing previous record of $10,270 in the 2nd Qtr. of 1981.
· August 24 – Asst. Chief John Red Eagle is one of four tribal leaders to bless the new BOK (Bank of Oklahoma) Center on the north side of the building, located in downtown Tulsa. Four tribes were invited to bless the side of the building that faces their land. Others participating are: Creek Nation 2nd Chief, Alfred Berryhill to the south; Cherokee Nation tribal member, Charlie Soap, blessed to the east; Otoe tribal member Gary Whitecloud, representing the Plains Indians blessed to the west.
- August 19 – Osage Nation Supreme Court convenes to hear first case, when attorneys for the legislative and executive branches present oral arguments about the constitutionality of the Independent Press Act of 2008 (ONCA 08–07) involving the Osage News newspaper. At issue is the constitutionality of the 2008 Independent Press Act passed by the Nation’s Congress but vetoed by Principal Chief Jim Gray.
- August 4 – Principal Chief John Red Eagle and Assistant Principal Chief Scott BigHorse are sworn in to office. Principal Chief Red Eagle is the first full-blooded Osage chief since Principal Chief Paul Pitts’ passing in 1970.
- August 17 – The Osage Trust Team announces an agreement to tentatively settle the Osage Trust Case for $380 million, ending an 11-year court battle with the United States government over the mismanagement of the Osage minerals estate. That is a payout of $155,139 per full share. In addition to the money, the United States has agreed, in principle, to processes and actions to improve the management of the Osage Mineral Estate and the Osage tribal trust account.
- August 23 – The federal Department of the Interior approves the three land-into-trust applications for the Osage Casinos in Skiatook, Ponca City and Tulsa, and Osage Nation government officials sign the application.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
100 Years Ago (1912)
- First public auction sale for oil leases on the Osage Reservation tracts. Early sales were held under the “Million Dollar Elm” tree, where bidders sit on bleachers around the tree and the auctioneer, Colonel Ellsworth Waters, “cried” the sales (through 1927).
125 Years Ago (1887)
· St. Louis Industrial School (Catholic) for Osage girls established in Pawhuska; original school burned in the Pawhuska downtown area, later rebuilt in the Clear Creek area.
· General Indian Allotment Act (Dawes Act) passed by U.S. Congress to have reservations were to be divided up and land was to be allotted to individual Indians with title in fee simple.
175 Years Ago (1837)
- The Osage War in southwestern Missouri occurs when the last remaining Osage Indians refuses to move west this year. Militia units drive hunting parties of the Osage, Shawnee, and Delaware into Kansas and Arkansas, ending the tribes' hunting expeditions into Missouri.
200 Years Ago (1812)
· Osage Agent, George C. Sibley (at Ft. Osage, MO) and fifteen Osages (including Osage tribal member Sans Orielle) explore Arkansas River, Salt Fork River, Cimarron River and Chikaskia River.
300 Years Ago (1712)
· Osage warriors help save Fort Detroit from hostile tribes; afterward, the commandant, Etienne Veniard, Sieur de Bourgmont, lived with the Osage and Missouria tribes for three years, and returned to France to receive a royal decoration for his service in the frontier.