February 01, 2009
How to Quit Using Commercial Tobacco!
THE SOLUTION...Quitting tobacco can be the greatest! life-improvement habit you can change! According to the American Cancer Society, within 20 minutes of smoking that last cigarette, the body begins a series of changes that continue for years. A timeline of the health benefits of quitting is shown above. Some people find it helpful to join a support group and some use nicotine replacement options, but the greatest factor in quitting and successfully making the decision to stop. If you or someone you know uses tobacco, try these recommendations to "be tobacco-free”
CALL THE HELP LINE
- Get support. Call the Oklahoma Tobacco Helpline at (800) QUIT-NOW (784-8669).
- The Oklahoma Tobacco Helpline is designed to assist Oklahomans who have a desire to quit.
- Get your own Quit Coach to help you quit.
- Collect the information you need to be successful as you quit.
- The help line’s hours of operation are 7a.m. toll p.m. seven days a week, and staff will return any messages left after hours.
- Services are available in Spanish by calling (800) 793-1552.
- For local help on quitting smoking, call the Osage Nation Tobacco Prevention Hotline (918) 287-5422. All classes are taught by a Certified Cessation Specialist.
- Call the Osage Nation Tobacco Prevention Cessation Specialist to join the closest tobacco cessation class.
- Ask a friend or family member who wants to quit tobacco to also call the help line and/or take the class with you.
- Surround yourself with positive smoke-free/tobacco-tree messages.
- Only visit restaurants and business that are smoke-tree.
- Spend time with family and friends who do not use tobacco or smoke.
- Throw away all tobacco-related products (ashtrays, lighters, spit cups).
- Increase counter-marketing efforts in your community to offset the tobacco industry’s efforts.
- Request your employer join and promote all Breathe Easy efforts.
- Encourage your workplace to go 100 percent tobacco-tree (indoors and outdoors on all company property) for the health of the employees.
- Promote the use of an on-site tobacco cessation program at your workplace.
- Request your employer provide a group health insurance plan that includes tree cessation aids.
Encourage all businesses in your community o go smoke-tree. (www.breatheeasyok.com)
Thank the businesses that post the Breathe Easy signage on their front door
MAKE A REQUEST
Ask local businesses to comply with smoke-free laws in Oklahoma.
Ask guests and family members to not smoke or tobacco when they visit your home.
Ask your child’s school to utilize evidence-based tobacco prevention programs.
BE A ROLE MODEL
They’re watching you. Children who see their parents use tobacco are more likely to use it.
Talk to your children about the importance of NOT using tobacco. They listen to you.
For more information on combating the deadly effects of Commercial Tobacco Use, contact the Osage Nation Tobacco Prevention Program at 918-287-5367. We offer a variety of workshops on health related issues, Cessation classes, Quit Kits, Youth Leadership opportunities, as well as advocacy workshops.